Graduate students in history at Penn can also benefit from a number of special programs. They include:
- The opportunity to concentrate in the Ethnohistory Program, a multidisciplinary effort that trains students in both Anthropology and History.
- The opportunity to attend the special seminars of the McNeil Center for Early American Studies, a leading forum for new research in the field.
- The opportunity to participate in the women's history component of the graduate program, taking advantage of the vast resources on Women, Gender Studies, & Sexuality at the University.
- The opportunity for those who focus on African Studies to work with a department offering particular strengths.
- The opportunity to concentrate in history and culture, political economy, and international relations in a curriculum that includes team-taught courses in these areas.
- Certificate in World History