In an independent study, students pursue a topic of interest by working one-on-one with a faculty member, usually on an in-depth research project. Independent studies are graded courses usually worth 1 CU.
For students who wish to pursue independent study for credit, the procedure is as follows:
- When you have a clear idea of the topic you would like to study in greater detail, you should find a faculty sponsor who can supervise your work. Either your faculty advisor or the History Undergraduate Advisor can help you find someone in your area of interest.
- Any member of the standing faculty (and only a member of the standing faculty) in the Department of History may offer an independent study to a student at the professor's discretion.
- When you and your faculty sponsor have decided upon the topic and terms of your independent study, e-mail the History Undergraduate Advisor with the following information: the purpose of the independent study, the topic to be studied, and the method of evaluation of the student's work. Copy the faculty advisor in the e-mail so that they can formally agree to the arrangement.
- The History Undergraduate Advisor will register you for the Independent Study.
The major advisor and/or the History Undergraduate Chair has discretion to limit the number of independent studies undertaken. Under no circumstances may an independent study substitute for a seminar required for the major.
Generally, undergraduate independent studies are numbered as follows, with section numbers (xxx) indicating the faculty sponsor:
- HIST 4910-xxx: American History Before 1800
- HIST 4915-xxx: American History After 1800
- HIST 4920-xxx: European History Before 1800
- HIST 4925-xxx: European History After 1800
- HIST 4930-xxx: African or Middle Eastern History Before 1800
- HIST 4935-xxx: African or Middle Eastern History After 1800
- HIST 4940-xxx: Latin American or Caribbean History Before 1800
- HIST 4945-xxx: Latin American or Caribbean History After 1800
- HIST 4950-xxx: East or South Asian History Before 1800
- HIST 4955-xxx: East or South Asian History After 1800
- HIST 4960-xxx: Transregional History Before 1800
- HIST 4965-xxx: Transregional History After 1800
Independent Study course numbers before Fall 2022:
- HIST 291-xxx : European History, Pre-1800
- HIST 292-xxx : European History, Post-1800
- HIST 293-xxx : American History, Pre-1800
- HIST 294-xxx : American History, Post-1800
- HIST 295-xxx : World History, Pre-1800
- HIST 296-xxx : World History, Post-1800